Friday, August 15, 2008

THUNDER

Last night I was awakened by the most terrific noise. I've heard loud thunder before, but this was different. Completely. It was the most vicious noise I've ever heard nature create on its own. It was an explosive growl followed by multiple shocks of lightning in rapid succession. I usually like thunder, but the sound I heard last night was awful. While laying frozen in my bed by the incredible din outside, I was still somehow tempted to go to the window and watch the sky wreak havoc on the earth below. When Justin got up to look out, the storm had been so awful I almost asked him if anything was still there.
I groggily dragged myself to the living room this morning, and the rain was still falling, a steady and light rain that kept the sky dark and the ground wet. It interferes with my gardening plans, but oh, it's a beautiful, drowsy day outside.

"He made darkness His covering, His canopy around Him- the dark rain clouds of the sky. Out of the brightness of His presence clouds advanced, with hailstones and bolts of lightning; the Lord thundered from heaven; the voice of the Most High resounded;"
Psalm 18:11-13

How great is our God! He makes clouds and flames of fire His messengers.

No comments: