Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A Love Song

Why do our prayers sound more like rigid rhetoric than love songs?

For Him:
Creative authority. He brings creative authority.
Oh God, when will I see your real conviction in the earth? Your Spirit moving, entire cities being changed when people you really sent move throughout the earth?

The world as You intended it. Let us see the world as you intended it. Artists have been trying to make renditions of how they imagine your perfect world, Oh God. I think it's a world where our prayers sound like love songs. Where it's all about the secret place, the silence, the darkness. Let us watch and pray, and wait impatiently, with an awareness of the hour. Let us desperately await Your return. Let us, Oh God, forget our ridiculous formulas and ideas for youth ministry, our money and our promotions and the posters. Let it all be replaced with HUNGER. With you. With a yearning and groaning for God. Where are You? Let my heart wake up.
Wake, Oh sleeper! The glory of the Lord has come upon you, to preach good news to the poor. When is the last time I have spoken this Good News to anyone? Why so down cast, oh my soul? So dead? So dry? So empty of longing?
Wake, Oh sleeper!
Let your humbleness come upon me, Jesus. Let the glory of the Lord rise upon you. May your people look and see the brackets you set on history, on creation- man walking with God, intimate with God, face to face. Speaking to each other face to face, as Moses did with you, as with a friend. How blessed are those who see you face to face! Set my heart on fire to seek and find you the way they did. Be my passion.
You are the One I've been waiting for. My Great God. My beautiful Love. The Lover of Creation and the Lover of my Soul.
Ask and you shall receive.
Oh God I ask. Give me You. Give me the desire and the passion and the fire and the irresistible longing to BE with you.
I will not fit in. I will walk in the dust of my teacher. Jesus save me.

No comments: