Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Time Passed

Waiting a month to post has been  a long time for me. Life has sped up, leaving the lazy days of somewhere in the not so distant past. I could believe today were a summer day yet, except for the gusts of wind that pull my hair out of the neat arrangement I placed it in oh so carefully this morning. 
Ironically I am getting a bit of the "college experience" vicariously through my husband- as he goes to class and does homework, I tag along sometimes and sit with him in the college library, walk the campus with him. It is strange to watch the students passing by and not doing one thing without being ever so intentional about it, especially the girls. I never dressed up to go to class the way some of these girls do! Fully dressed out in trendy heels and a dress, complete with makeup, jewelry, and perfectly styled hair, they walk half a mile or more in the gusting wind to class. What a different culture! I guess if you live on campus, you must look your best on the fifteen minute walk from the dorm to the library, wearing your highest heels, even at the expense of many blisters. I don't even own enough high heels to wear a new pair to class all week! 
New experiences in the present this fall, but also some blasts from the past. Turns out an ex boyfriend of mine, who spared no expense in insulting my husband and Christian marriage in general, still remains close friends with some people whose respect I would hope to keep. On the one hand, I would hope that true friends would not believe anything slanderous about me, but I also know there are loyalties to their friendship with this person as well. It is in God's hands, but nonetheless a little ruffling. I am not planning on having to defend myself or bring the subject up, as it is possible that this ex boyfriend has gone through a dramatic transformation since the last blow up a few months back. It is also possible that loyal friends will come to my defense. For the most part it just reminds me what dramatic changes happen with time. People who were once inseparable are now at icy odds, or quite nearly at each other's throats. I hate that friendships, and even dating relationships, often end this way. Some things may never be resolved in this life, but on the other side of heaven we will all somehow find ourselves getting along, and truly leaving the past there. God willing.

No comments: