Sunday, July 12, 2009

Names


Recently an old friend contacted me through email and asked me how much I have studied the Bible, and what I feel are legitimate names to use for God, without straying from His true identity. I thought I'd post my response:

"I have studied the Bible in my own way, in my own time, some in school like setting and some in my private time with God over the years. The names of God that you mention are from the Greek and Hebrew translations, and interestingly enough, are not specifically His Name either. The term "Yaweh" is actually often mispronounced. In the original it is a clustering of Hebrew consonant sounds, similar to in English what would be an inpronouncible jumble of letters, like kljdf or kmnknkn. The difference is the Hebrew word, when pronounced directly, is not a word at all, but produces a sound similar to an inhal of breath- Yaweh. We pronounce it as a solid word, but it may be that the breath like noise is more a reflection of our God being the Great I Am, the author of life, of breath. You could look at Rob Bell's video clips online- they're called the Nooma videos and you can search for them. He talks about this title of God in particular. As far as the many other names of God, Jehovah Jaira, meaning my provider, and Jehovah Rapha, and Lord, are many other Biblical names for the one true God, whom we worship. I don't think they are worldly abstractions of His true identity; although in speaking to someone of a Muslim or Hindu background, and in today's crazy world either Jehovah's witnesses or Mormons, you may need to clarify using Biblical Scripture who they mean when they say God. Because sadly, particularly in Mormonism, you will find that they use the exact same titles for God, possibly even including the Hebrew term Yaweh, to describe someone who is definitely not I Am, the God I serve. Jesus is the Hebrew human name given to our God when He came to us in bodily form; this is a completely Scriptural and correct name to call Him by. Lord also describes one of His positionings over us, as it is used in reference to a servant and a master. In the feudal systems of Europe, a vassal, or servant on a lord's land, did what the lord of the land instructed and paid homage to him. We do this with our God as well. This term is widely used in the original Hebrew and Greek describing Jehovah, Yaweh. Many of these titles are similar to different titles that may be used for a person like you or me. My name is April Suits, sister, wife, dance director, student, etc. These are all titles for me. But they only speak of me individually. They help describe who I am and what I do. The Biblical titles we see for God are similar. I feel that as long as God uses names for Himself in the letter He wrote to us, His Word, they are appropriate names to call Him. Once again, clarification may be in order when conversing with people that do not see the Bible as the one and only true word of God. For questions like this, looking at the Bible should be your ultimate authority on the subject."

No comments: