Thursday, July 9, 2009

Dance

I have decided the hardest part about dancing is the transition between the studio and the rest of the world. When I am at a dance studio, I am settled there and feel I could go on forever. Take multiple classes in a row. Never leave the environment. When I am at home, I am at rest, and don't want to bother changing clothes and driving to class. When at peace at home, it is so difficult to rend myself between two worlds- the world of dance, and my personal life. Actually, they are both personal lives, but two separate ones. It is very beautiful when I can swing dance with Justin, and the two worlds meet. But it is so sluggish and difficult to drag myself off the marley floor and away from the barre to the drudgeries of daily life; it is so difficult to wrench myself from the comforts of home to the starkness of an empty studio and the cold of wearing nothing but a leotard. I am home in both worlds; moving between them is the hard part. But I could never leave one for the other; I could never limit myself to one world. That is what creates so many one dimensional dancers, who have sacrificed life and family for the stage. One dimensional people are also made by those who remain in the mundane and never stretch out to experience the magical world of art. Dance without the enrichment of a deep personal life and spiritual life is flat and emotionless. The affectations of the dancer are all fake. The life of a person who remains on the ground and does not attempt to express their spriritual and emotional life through art is trapping their inspiration, their muse, preventing the beauty and rawness of their experiences from being shared with a watching world. A world that needs to experience not only the love of dance, but the love of God through dance. Dance expresses things words cannot, and the spiritual cannot always be expressed in words. God, let my body be a tool in your hands, to show the world the beauty of your love and sacrifice, the beauty of soaring with you in the heavenlies, the beauty of being unrestrained by this physical world. Stretching toward the way you meant us to live, the life you meant us to have, and the intimacy I find with you, only through worshipping you with the dance.

No comments: