Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Church, youth group, and where I am today

I spent some time reading Pastor Aaron Stern's blog this afternoon. It brought back so many memories- him officiating our wedding, sitting in a School of Worship classroom learning the finer points of spiritual gifts, many, many nights at the Mill, time at New Life Church.
Goodbye, New Life Church.
Although I spent many wonderful years there, many hard memories come up too. Some of my dearest friends have come from my time there, as well as some things I wouldn't mind leaving in the past. However, it is strange, even though I have not attended that church for nearly two years, I find myself feeling even more detached from my life there as I live in Denver. I say my life, because it was church, family, home, school, and work. Not kidding. I lived with New Life students, worked and got paid, worked and didn't get paid, went to school, went to church, went to small group, dancing, movies, putt putt, nights out, you name it.
Goodbye, New Life Church.
I have taken with me priceless lessons- on surviving a total leadership overthrow, surviving bad relationships, co-dependent relationships, group leadership, administration, prayer, travel, witnessing, and so much more. I have also brought away a few chips on my shoulder; I won't deny it. When I re-enter ministry on a church level, some things will have to be relearned.
I at once miss and am happy to escape my time at New Life. And the Mill. I love Aaron Stern and so many of the other wonderful people there, but I am also grateful for the new direction God appears to be taking me and my husband. In a land beyond... somewhere that I don't run into twelve people I know from the Mill at every neighborhood coffee shop. Weird.

No comments: